-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 10:41 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: For anyone using the aradmin.exe command

Scott,

Actually... let me see if you can try something for me and see if we can get
that to work...

<warning>
This is a sore topic for me. I have tried to get BMC to understand how dumb
I think this feature is, but they appear to not share my concern for it.
</warning>

In the admin tool open the packing list of interest.
Go to the "Packing List" menu and select "Generate XML".

You need to use this "XML" file as the input to the admin tool command line.
NOT an ARS def file (in xml format). [ The def file does not work, but it is
what most people think should work. Most people do not ever look at the
"Packing List" menu because it only shows up when you open a packing list ,
and the terminology is just "XML file" instead of the "special file
generated from the menu of the packing list object via the admin tool".]

My two cents....

I should be able to mention the NAME of the packing list and not have any
cached copy of it before the command line is called.

And in my dream world... I can use a packlist as defined on a different ARS
server too. ( Yes that means that I may need to pass in two usersnames and
passwords, but I am ok with that. )

So ... Picture this...

<dreaming>
Create a packing list on your Dev server.
>From the command line export those objects from Production.
Import them to your Test server.
Then import your Dev objects (presumably different from Production) to your
Test server.

You now have a way to maintain one list, on dev, of objects that are in a
"release" and a way to use that list to normalize your Test server.
</dreaming>
--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Scott Philben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We found out an interesting bit of information yesterday about the command
line uasge of the aradmin.exe command. On page 557 of the 6.3 Advanced book
Remedy claims the following:

>  To parse an XML packing list, and export all the objects defined in that
packing list, use the following command format:

>  aradmin -u <user_name> [-p <password>] -x <server_name> -e
> <target_file> -l <packing_list.xml>
>

>  Well, when we tried to use that command to dump out a packing list worth
of stuff nothing seemed to happen. So I opened an Incident with BMC and come
to find out that the XML packing list thing does not appear to work in any
environment that they can find. I think this is kind of odd since I believe
that this option has been available since at least 5.1.2. I might be wrong.

>  So anyway, don't try to dump stuff out of your system via an XML packing
list file (not that you wanted to anyway since I can't find any reference of
anyone else in history having the same problem and posting about it on the
interwebs).