I'm fortunate in that I haven't had to do this yet.  However, if I did, I would
probably do it all in SQL via a stored procedure.

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of McClure, Don
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:23 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Renaming a company in ITSM 7

**
Hi-posting information for the University & Christopher Strauss across the hall:

Short Version:  No way to change a company name once configured (because full
fan-out is impracticable).

Full Details:

first-where a new company structure  is required for any reason, I created the
new company/groups/organizations, then moved effected support staff to the new
company.
Ensure that both home organization and support-group relationships are
established to new company,
and severed from old company.
second-I de-activate the old company (probably 'offline').
third-modify/validate relationships for location, categorization(s),
assignment/ownership rules.

In the case of an already configured company where Incidents/Change Requests
are present:
they bear the old company name.  We have not found a convenient way to migrate
those records
to the new company, short of a utility from BMC (hinted at, but not yet
available).

And, our policy for foundation items in current operation:  We can create new
items for foundation structures;
but will not even try to modify old items for:
companies
support groups
organizations
categorizations
locations
and probably some other foundational goodies I do not currently recall.

So, any Incidents/Problems/Changes which were related to the old foundation
data, will remain so.

Don W. McClure, P.E.
Data Administrator & System Engineer
Computing & IT Center, Call Tracking Administration
University of North Texas, Denton
dwmac_at_unt.edu

"That which counts cannot necessarily be counted: that which can be counted
will not always count."  -- Albert Einstein