From: Matt Reinfeldt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:09:25 PM
Subject: Re: Incident Management 7.x Slow

**
Joe,

While, in theory, I agree with you regarding the # of users and thread
settings, I want to refer you to the BMC Sizing and Capacity
Planning_200608.pdf… here’s an excerpt from pages 23-24:

“The thread count settings determine the amount of parallel activity that can
take place on the AR server system, and therefore lower settings (such as the
default setting) will decrease the throughput of the system to a level much
lower than observed in the following table.

In general, over-configuring threads has little impact, while under-configuring
threads might limit throughput. In this way, BMC uses a number approximately
three times the CPU count for the number of list threads (both minimum and
maximum), and six times the CPU count for the number of fast threads (both
minimum and maximum). So a medium configuration will have 12 and 24 threads for
List and Fast thread counts, respectively. Such high thread counts will enable
batch operations, such as RE, to complete quickly, but will also handle on-line
activity effectively. Private threads might also be allocated and used by RE
jobs, though configuring that is documented in other locations.”

Obviously, this is just a guideline (and they’re referencing ‘medium’ sized
installations), however it does make me wonder if that is not at least part of
the issue.

Just a thought.  J

Matt R.