For the entertainment of those beating themselves senseless against the BPCU
upgrade process and overlays in 7.6.04…
Updating my issue with BMC…

Today I looked at the difference between the overlay and overlaid CTM:People
form that Migrator created on Friday on my pre-production server.  The primary
difference was that the source overlay has Audit Enabled = Yes but no form name
listed.  The base form has Form Name = CTM:AuditLogSystem.

I tried to fix this by deleting the overlay and re-creating it on the
pre-production server.  Now it has the Form Name = CTM:AuditLogSystem value set.

Then I tried to migrate JUST the custom or customized fields from the staging
server overlay to the pre-production server overlay.  That failed on three out
of four tries.  The only success was migrating a different field size for
Desktop Location - from 30 to 65.  Two custom fields failed with this error:

16 Source Server Version: 7.6.04 002
17 Destination Server Version: 7.6.04 002
18 Backup Type: Migrator Files
19 Backup Forms: Yes
20 Backup Active Links: Yes
21 Backup Filters: Yes
22 Backup Escalations: Yes
23 Backup Active Link Guides: Yes
24 Backup Filter Guides: Yes
25 Backup Applications: Yes
26 Backup Packing Lists: Yes
27 Backup Web Services: Yes
28 Backup Menus: Yes
29 Backup Distributed Maps: Yes
30 Backup Distributed Pools: Yes
31 Backup Flashboards: Yes
32 Backup Flashboard DataSources: Yes
33 Backup Flashboard Alarms: Yes
34 Backup Plugin Modules: Yes
35 Backup Plugin Definitions: Yes
---------snip
43 Migration results for Fields
44 Status Source Form Source ID Destination Form Destination ID Start Time End
Time Status Migration Count
45 Error CTM:People__o 600000242  CTM:People__o 600000242  4/25/2011 2:27:56 PM
4/25/2011 2:27:56 PM  Error 1
46
47 Errors results for Fields
48 Source Name Type Number Message
49 600000242  Migration Error 3700  Unable to create field : 600000242
50 600000242  AR System Error 8868  Field overlay and the associated view
overlay must be in the same overlay group. 399990088

Another customized field - 112 - was added to the Default User View.  It did
not migrate, and no error or success appears in the Completed migration report.

What am I hitting??????  What point is it to create overlays if you cannot
migrate objects between them????  The view 399990088 is the Default User View.

As you can see, there is nothing straightforward about migrating overlays, or
objects within overlays, between servers.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/