We reported this problem with 7.6.04.01 last summer and have been living
with it ever since.  The mid-tier caches incorrect login names or
incorrect case login names that are passed to AREA LDAP, especially when
people try to use the mid-tier with a mobile device that capitalizes their
login, and then kills threads on the AR Server when AREA allows them in
and they do not exist in the User table in that form (Jsmith versus
jsmith).  These incorrect or invalid account names are cached by the
mid-tier, especially the ones where non-case-sensitive LDAP will
authenticate them whereas case-sensitive ARS would not have.  On the end
of the next prefetch, the mid-tier throws them at the AR Server without
passwords and they are in turn thrown at AREA and you get three or four
thread crashes per account.  I have seen the production mid-tier unusable
for 30 minutes after a restart (a different mid-tier already connected is
unaffected) as thread after thread crashed on the AR Server - exactly the
same problem you experienced.  Real high quality code, here; I don't think
BMC ever tested the ehcache prefetching on systems with AREA
authentication enabled.

We also saw the same thread deaths when someone used an ipad to hit our
Kinetic portal - invariably a capitalized version of their login name - so
AREA would let them in, then Kinetic would halt them when it could not
match their credentials (Jsmith != jsmith) and could not pull their
customer data.  We finally killed that off with javascript in the Kinetic
login page that forced the login name to lower case; we may have to do
exactly the same thing on the mid-tier login.jsp pages (anyone have a
working snippet of code for that??).

I am testing now to see if this is fixed in SP3; we identified so many
fatal installer problems in SP2 (ARS, mid-tier, Atrium, ITSM - against
ITSM Suite servers upgraded from 7.1/7.0.02) last November that I have
refused to use it for ANYTHING ever since.  This defect is definitely NOT
fixed if you only update the mid-tier to SP3 and the AR Server is still on
SP1; I tried that first.  I only just today got a full ARS SP3 over SP1
install completed on a clone of production, with a local and remote SP3
mid-tier, so I should be able to tell if they really fixed it tomorrow.
If not, then I'll give up and start forcing the login to lower case on
each mid-tier.  That will keep Demo and similar mixed-case "system"
accounts out too, but that's what the User Tool is still essential for.

SP3 does fix the date-range crystal report problem we reported last summer
(must be SP3 on BOTH the AR Server and mid-tier), as well as the
Firefox-Work Info-text box defect we reported at the same time, so _some_
issues have been fixed that have caused us problems on production for the
last 7 months.  I think they fixed the Migrator login timeout problem
introduced in 7.6.04.00 and retained in .01 and .02 (they finally gave me
a post-SP2 hotfix that worked) but I have to test that as well.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/