I just finished applying the javascript to my three mid-tiers, and yes, it
meant that my app admin had to rename about a dozen support staff who had mixed
case login names and inform them of the change.  I did this primarily because
of the problem we have seen with mobile devices that _attempt_ to use the mid
tier capitalizing the first letter - and our LDAP will authenticate them if it
is otherwise correct, at which point the mid-tier caches a bad login name.
Never mind that the mid-tier is useless on a mobile device; the damage to the
mid-tier cache has been done.  We might have considered retaining them in mixed
case if we were working against Active Directory (which is mixed case) but our
primary authentication system is Identity Manager which contains ~300,000 lower
case login names.

This change (forcing everything lower case) will not prevent another situation,
where a support staff member departs and our practice is to remove them from
support status which removes their User record and login name.  Then the AR
server gets thread deaths when the mid-tier tries to prefetch for the
previously valid login name that no longer exists.  I got eight server
terminations (below) tonight from one Sp1 mid-tier without doing anything - I
didn't restart it - it was probably an interval-based pre-fetch check.

Sun Mar 04 18:29:09 2012: AR System server terminated when a signal/exception
was received by the server (ARNOTE  20)

   Thread Id: 3848
   Version: 7.6.04 SP1 HotFix 01 201107051610 Jul  5 2011 17:17:48
   ServerName: itsm76
   Database: SQL -- SQL Server
   Hardware: x86_64
   OS: Windows Server 2003
   RPC Id: 235871
   RPC Call: 11 (GLS)
   RPC Queue: 390620
   Client: User <removed username> from Mid-tier (protocol 18) at IP address
<xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>
   Logging On: User
   Code: c0000005
   Operation: read
   Access Addr: 0000000000000000
   Stack Begin:
   Stack End
Sun Mar 04 18:29:08 2012  390620 : AR System server terminated when a
signal/exception was received by the server (ARNOTE 20)
Sun Mar 04 18:29:08 2012     0xc0000005
Sun Mar 04 18:29:08 2012  390620 : AR System server terminated — fatal error
occurred in ARSERVER (ARNOTE 21)

I got 8 more server thread terminations on a different account tonight while
upgrading one of the mid-tiers to SP3 for a live test by some of my production
users.  These were for one of the users my app admin had already changed from
mixed case to all lower case - it tried to prefetch for the cached, mixed-case
version and no longer could find it, and exploded.

I did learn the most effective trick for eliminating a poisoned cache - where
the mid-tier remembers a login name in the wrong case or that no longer exists:

1. You add another SERVER NAME in AR Server Settings, then change all four of
the General Settings servers to that new one, go back and Delete the original
server from AR Server Settings, and Flush the Cache.
2. Repeat the exact same steps to restore the mid-tier to the original
(production) AR Server name, flushing the cache again.
3. Set the server to PRE-LOAD = Yes and restart tomcat; after the preload, set
it back OFF

The mid-tier is now cleaned of improper login names that will kill threads on
the AR Server - for now.  I have done that successfully on two of my mid-tiers
so far.  It must be done during a scheduled maintenance window because it
definitely knocks it out of action for at least a half hour.

I will be watching the system for any new thread terminations from the SP3
mid-tier to see if that SP has fixed the problem with prefetching.  I suspect
that it can still generate errors, especially since the AR Server is still SP1,
but maybe we will get lucky.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/