From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:19 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Message in Error log and AR Server timeout

We reported this problem with 7.6.04.01 last summer and have been living with
it ever since.  The mid-tier caches incorrect login names or incorrect case
login names that are passed to AREA LDAP, especially when people try to use the
mid-tier with a mobile device that capitalizes their login, and then kills
threads on the AR Server when AREA allows them in and they do not exist in the
User table in that form (Jsmith versus jsmith).  These incorrect or invalid
account names are cached by the mid-tier, especially the ones where
non-case-sensitive LDAP will authenticate them whereas case-sensitive ARS would
not have.  On the end of the next prefetch, the mid-tier throws them at the AR
Server without passwords and they are in turn thrown at AREA and you get three
or four thread crashes per account.  I have seen the production mid-tier
unusable for 30 minutes after a restart (a different mid-tier already connected
is
unaffected) as thread after thread crashed on the AR Server - exactly the same
problem you experienced.  Real high quality code, here; I don't think BMC ever
tested the ehcache prefetching on systems with AREA authentication enabled.

We also saw the same thread deaths when someone used an ipad to hit our Kinetic
portal - invariably a capitalized version of their login name - so AREA would
let them in, then Kinetic would halt them when it could not match their
credentials (Jsmith != jsmith) and could not pull their customer data.  We
finally killed that off with javascript in the Kinetic login page that forced
the login name to lower case; we may have to do exactly the same thing on the
mid-tier login.jsp pages (anyone have a working snippet of code for that??).

I am testing now to see if this is fixed in SP3; we identified so many fatal
installer problems in SP2 (ARS, mid-tier, Atrium, ITSM - against ITSM Suite
servers upgraded from 7.1/7.0.02) last November that I have refused to use it
for ANYTHING ever since.  This defect is definitely NOT fixed if you only
update the mid-tier to SP3 and the AR Server is still on SP1; I tried that
first.  I only just today got a full ARS SP3 over SP1 install completed on a
clone of production, with a local and remote SP3 mid-tier, so I should be able
to tell if they really fixed it tomorrow.
If not, then I'll give up and start forcing the login to lower case on each
mid-tier.  That will keep Demo and similar mixed-case "system"
accounts out too, but that's what the User Tool is still essential for.

SP3 does fix the date-range crystal report problem we reported last summer
(must be SP3 on BOTH the AR Server and mid-tier), as well as the Firefox-Work
Info-text box defect we reported at the same time, so _some_ issues have been
fixed that have caused us problems on production for the last 7 months.  I
think they fixed the Migrator login timeout problem introduced in 7.6.04.00 and
retained in .01 and .02 (they finally gave me a post-SP2 hotfix that worked)
but I have to test that as well.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager