When in this situation, I will generally use a display only form as a
filter rather than interacting with the People form directly.

the process goes like this

LDAP Vendor Form (AD Data)--> Display Only Form (DataShaper) --> CTM:People

In my DataShaper Display Only form, I have filters that validate and shape
the data so that I know what I try to send to CTM:People will be successful
and any outliers are either ignored (if they are expected and flagged as
such) or an alternative error handling mechanism is triggered.  (For
instance, creating an incident)

In your case, with a missing manager login ID, the code for pulling in that
login id would happen prior to me pushing the data to CTM:People.  If I
couldn't find one, I'd generate an incident.

For the first few runs in a new environment, I generally don't create
incidents, but instead log and actively research the kinds of problems that
are happening.  That way I can come up with a better ruleset and the number
of incidents created in a live environment are small and less likely to be
ignored.

A design like this keeps the customization out of CTM:People - which is
subject to change with upgrades or patches and collects all of the data
shaping code in one purpose-built location so it can be easily referenced
and any changes are isolated to a single integration point.

It's pretty easy to throw together and it will save you many headaches down
the road.

Thanks,
Steve