Permissions are almost always the answer whenever the question is

"restrict/allow users to do xxxx"

So first, set up permissions on the attachment fields themselves to have
permission
for a group that everyone is in to have read access -- but not write access.
Have
another group that has write access to the attachment fields.   Note that
everyone
should have access to the attachment pool if they have read access at least to
the
attachment fields.

Now, give all users the read group (you probably use a group they are already in
for this) and give the users you want to have write access to the attachment
fields
the second group.

This strategy protects change from the screen AND from API programs AND from any
other access method the user may try.

If you just play with buttons or hiding/showing on the screen, you can prevent
them
from doing the operation on the screen, but it does not protect access by the
API
or by email or by any other means.

I hope this helps,

Doug Mueller