Peter,
We also use the same server group name across environments and use host files
on our local machines to administer each environment when needed.

In addition to the diagram below, I like having a dedicated mid tier to the
admin box outside of the user load balancer as well. It helps since a lot of
forms don't display properly in the WUT anymore. Also, I'm assuming you're not
allowing unqualified searches on the user facing boxes. I've had instances
where a user needed to run a query beyond the limit we set so having a mid tier
pointing to the admin box allows for those one off requests as well.

Sent from my iPhone