Mark: My primary point is that Abbott funding was made a
constitutional right for the kids in districts that lack funds, so I
wouldn't worry about the state scaling back the funding - they have
to give it; the Supreme Court made it mandatory - the state can't
refuse. I thought it was a nutty decision and still do, but it helps
places like AP because we get paid.

I concede your point that if Asbury becomes more solvent,
theoretically we could start loosing Abbott funding, but that is
supposed to happen.  You want that to happen.  Better a thriving AP
that takes care of itself then a languishing AP that needs state
aid.

Now I'm no expert on the Abbott funding formula, but I assume (so I
concede I could be dead wrong here) that if the Ocean was not tax
abated, that extra tax money would be used against he Abbott
formula, and we would lose Abbott money sooner than later when the
condos come online. It appears to me that with the abatements, we
get cheaper condos to purchase and keep the Abbott money longer.
Isn't that the best of both worlds?  Wish we could get the opinion
of someone who knows the funding formula on this board so we could
know for sure.

As for voting down school budgets - it doesn't matter (IMHO) what
the status of state funding is, $18K per year is just too much
money; we can be thriftier than that for the poor results we are
getting.

As for Dan's idea, it is interesting, but I understand the school
board to be an arm of State government, so I don't believe we could
combine it with the City government (again I'm no expert there, but
it's just a thought).