Gary please don't mistake my question for an assertion.  I've taken
no position here.  I'm just trying to understand what you are
saying. I still need an answer.  Why does a place like Great
Adventure thrive financially with no government subsidy, yet
theaters and art districts, which you maintain are "big draws" need
subsidy?

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lighty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Isn't the fact that theater and art districts are in
> > need of government funding proof that people really don't care
> > enough about them to pay for them, and therefore proof that they
are
> > not the best tourist draws?
>
> Do you really think that Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off
Broadway really
> doesn't play a role in:
>
> A) the identity of New York City
> B) tourist dollars for New York City
> C) jobs for New York City
>
> If you don't see this as an investment, there's really nothing I
can do to
> change your mind except tell you to go to the theatre districts of
NYC and
> see what it brings to the table night after night.   It's easy to
get people
> excited about the weekends.  Things like theatre bring people to
the hotels
> and restaurants and stores every single day.
>
> Instead of trying to answer or convince you of something that
should be
> quite obvious, let me ask you this.  Why is it that virtually EVERY
> town/city in America that has ever been reborn has done it through
the arts
> or entertainment?  If it's not important to subsidize and MAKE
SURE the arts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM