If you went on a job interview you wouldn't wear your best suit?
You would show in your everyday clothes because that's more
reflective of who you are?  I hate to disappoint you but in the
business world you often have to be who the buyer is expecting, or
he'll buy elsewhere.

By your thinking Asbury Park should not redevelop the beachfront. It
won't be reflective of the rest of the town, or the struggles faced
by the West Side.  We may lose our reputation and aesthetic of a
haven for poor people, which apparantly some on this board would
like to keep.

People will say "Who do they think they are kidding?" when we build
the beachfront.  "That's not who Asbury Park is!"  Perhaps we should
build federal housing on the beach.  That'll teach 'em to over-
estimate us!  How dare Asbury Park be phony and try to improve?!

So to "keep it real" and "be honest about who Asbury Park is," in
front of the business world we are trying to attract, we should have
our leaders tear holes in their cloths, speak with poor diction and
perhaps pay for the business lunch with food stamps. That's someone
else's view of AP; not mine. I think we are better than that and we
should act like it.

If you are going to imporve the City, at some point you have to
cross the line and be improved, even if that means losing the
personality of the pitiful, helpless, down-trodden City.  Unless you
actually desire that for the people of Asbury Park, in which case I
guess it's OK then.

Don't be afraid Asbury Parkers. Go toward the light and improve.