Earth to Tom; I suspect you've been reading the 3villageTimes too long.

Who do you think the "business world" expects to meet when it visits
Asbury Park−Rumson?  Despite your buddy Dan's assertions that Asbury
is to become a world-class center of design, new-age bohemian
lifestyle and groovy stuff, it remains what it has been for too long,
a model of failed and incompetent local government, whose best suit is
the quick buck deal, usually at the expense of its residents.

Unfortunately, the course of action the city has taken to redevelop
the beachfront, remains true to that heritage; further, I guess the
fool they've entrusted development to, meets your personal measure of
competency.  He drives a Porsche, wears groovy suits, bullshits his
way through business deals and stiffs naïve lawyers for business
lunches.

Sadly this is the Asbury the business world still expects to encounter
and GM can't build enough Cadillacs to make it any different.

"If you went on a job interview you wouldn't wear your best suit?  I
hate to disappoint you but in the business world you often have to be
who the buyer is expecting, or he'll buy elsewhere.
By your thinking Asbury Park should not redevelop the beachfront. It
won't be reflective of the rest of the town, or the struggles faced by
the West Side.
So to "keep it real" and "be honest about who Asbury Park is," in
front of the business world we are trying to attract, we should have
our leaders tear holes in their cloths, speak with poor diction and
perhaps pay for the business lunch with food stamps. That's someone
else's view of AP; not mine. I think we are better than that and we
should act like it."