Hey, no need to call me nuts. I can't ride because I have arthritis, but I can understand the joy of riding, as I am married to a German, and lived there for a while, and was able to ride back then and it was great. I did all my shopping, everything, and went everywhere this way. I never even thought about having a car.

I am just saying that it would be great if cities planned things so that people would not always have to use cars, so that modes of transportation such as walking and biking can be real ways to get places.

My parents moved to Palm Harbor, FL in the mid-eighties, and since then I have seen them build the Pinellas Trail which allows people to walk or cycle from town to town without having to mingle with cars. Some people actually go to work this way, and that's a good thing for traffic, not to mention people's health.

If bicycles could be used for transportation, not just leisure, it would be a good thing all around, and if you could not or did not want to buy a car, you could still have a life. Public transportation has never been a strong point in this country unless you live in a major city like NYC, and even then, if it's like LA where I lived for a few years, you are very limited.

The widening of roads costs taxpayers money each year, as does the rising cost of healthcare because of preventable illnesses caused by the sedentary lifestyle of most Americans. I'd gladly pay for the encouragement and the ability of people to be more independently mobile, less polluting, and more healthy for it.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS