I couldn't agree more.
If bikes were taken more seriously, maybe even our ever widening waistbands
would take
a turn in the right direction.
I didn't own a car for the majority of my adult life. I couldn't imagine hoping
in my car to
drive a mile or less for something like a loaf of bread, or a newspaper.
I do, however, understand that people do have things like arthritis and a bike
just isn't a
viable form of transportation for them. On the other hand, we aren't showing
our children
what a bike is truely capable of, and in my opinion the schools are too
overwhelmed with
other things rather then teaching good bicycling practices.
Years ago, I wrote a column in the Two River Times about bicycle commuting, and
even
though I knew I was talking to an unsympathetic audience, it still felt great
to promote
something I believed in.
I was forever changed when I began to spend a majority of my time in Europe,
where the
bike is extremely well loved  and respected.
I'll never be able to understand why we can't do that here.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM