--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The only fair share with any taxation is a flat percentage.  Ask why
> _that_ is so hard to understand.
>
> No breaks, no exceptions, just a plain percentage, nice and fair.  You
> make more, you pay more, it's simple.

Progressive tax rates do more than that. Higher earners pay at a higher
rate. $.40 of every dollar I earn goes to income taxes. How much do you
want? I think the argument is that when sales taxes are considered,
lower income earners pay a higher percentage of their incomes in total
taxes because they have to spend a higher percentage of their income on
essentials. What everyone forgets is the taxes us rich folks pay on
cigars and champagne. What about the luxury tax on nice cars? Remember
when the UK had an 85% tax rate? Why earn more if it all goes to taxes?
Great way to kill an economy. Remember the statistics. the top 50% of
income earners paid 94% of ALL income taxes in 2003, and 96% in prior
years. The statistics are similarly one-sided for the upper brackets as
well. The AMT was devised to catch RICH folks to pay a minimum tax.
That really went well. Now it catches most middle-income people.