--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lightgrw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2006, at 5:14 PM, Hinge wrote:

I don't know what plan you been reading. The WRP calls for a 10 story
Hotel. An entertainment zone  the renovations of the CH and Casio the
renovations of the BW pavilions. Plus with Madison Marquet on board
to handle the retail and with the hosing market dipping maybe they
will speed up the BW projects.

 I guess if we want "The Jewel of the Jersey Shore" to be only a
> >  destination to live in, great.
>
> See Hinge touches upon the hypocrisy of Asbury Park.  The town
> desperately wants to hold on to its tourist past (because it knows
that
> places like Cookman Ave will be in trouble with only residents)
while
> certain people in power want the town to morph into residential
only.

> Meanwhile, the beautiful images shown behind the Council each week
are
> of Asbury's past and the images shown on the flag poles throughout
town
> are of Asbury's past and the images used on the city's marketing
is
> generally of Asbury's past.
>
> I still believe that the majority of the people voting in the past
> elections thought the redevelopment plan was a mix of tourism and
> residential.  Instead, the tourism parts get forgotten with each
> passing year.  There will be no new hotels, no new entertainment
> areas... in fact, I'd be amazed if there was any entertainment in
> Asbury Park in ten years time.  God knows, Convention Hall is the
most
> underused facility of its type in New Jersey.  How virtually every
> county can support several similar facilities and have them all
seem to
> do well is beyond me.  Asbury books about 2 events per month at CH.
>
> Tommy, you know I really admire you for your love of the town which
is
> why I want to ask you this one question.  I know you are looking
> forwards to the day when Asbury Park is a nice, safe place to raise
> family and live...  So my question is:
>
> Do you envision any of the nightclubs or bars that are currently
in
> Asbury Park to be there when that vision is realized?
>
> My take is that since they own the Stone Pony (and seemingly fail
> realize its importance/potential) it will be gone and I'm not
confident
> it will be moved or rebuilt elsewhere.  I think Asbury Lanes will
lose
> their fight over emminent domain.  The Wonder Bar will simply
thank
> Larry for giving them a few years in which they won over the
majority
> of the town (a reason I believe they should be allowed to remain);
and
> sadly, I think the Saint will be gone as well.  Once the oceanfront
is
> finished and Cookman Ave is finished, Asbury Park will try to clean
up
> Main Street.  And you've gotta know that Scott Stamper and his
club
> have a giant bulls eye on their front door.
>
> So, there you have it.  The very places that kept the town alive
for a
> few decades when nothing else (but drugs) brought people to town
will
> be removed so Asbury can morph into a nice, safe place to raise a
> family and live...  And then the people will probably move away
because
> they'll be nothing to do.

**
> Upstage Magazine - New Jersey's Premier Arts & Entertainment
Magazine