> With only 3% of this county's revenue being for tourism, with
> counties to the South that are over 50%, it would have been a long
> shot to go with that as a primary revenue source in redevelopment.
> Bruno, Loffredo and Sanders are aware of their fiduciary duty
toward
> the taxpayer, so they went with the far more reasonable investment
> of real estate development.  Just good business.

The reason we are 3% is simple.

1. We had 3 dead waterfronts:
 - Keansburg
 - Long Branch
 - Asbury

2. No Oceanfront or near Oceanfront hotels/motels for families

3. ZERO to do in the summer for families looking for a destintion
(that did not rent or own a summer home).

4. I'll bet those county $ don't count the STATE parks at Sandy Hook
on 7 Presidents. Again, ZERO places for that day-tripper to make it a
weekend. Zero.

Head to Ocean County:

1. Great Adventure. They will figure it out yet and grab the
overnighter soon.

2. Seaside. As dumpy as it is. People want it. Will condos sooner or
later take over. Cash machine.

3. Point. As long as those kiddie rides are there, and Kohrs, and an
aquarium, you have people, spending that $100 each night.

Forget affordable housing.

If you want tourists, you need affordable motels. Motel 6, holiday
express or "dave's sleep tight tonight"