“I understand your view at the bigger picture to bring upon social change. Councilman I am not going to give Asbury Park 20 years to clean up. I want to see results NOW. This is my frustration. If you can find money, use it for police.”

I am not asking for 20 years, but can I have at least the four years of my term to make an impact?  It took 30 years for the City to get to the point that it has, I think you can agree that it is going to take at least a little time for it to turn the corner.  You are concerned about money and spending it on police, how exactly would you propose spending the money if it were available?  You might say, “Hire more cops!”  Do you really believe that is going to give you results, “NOW.”  Even if we wanted to hire 10 new cops right now, as Deputy Mayor Bruno correctly pointed out at the meeting on Wednesday, they would not be ready to hit the streets for almost a year.  I want action NOW too Allan.  That is why I am pushing my idea of greater immediate involvement from police in our surrounding municipalities and from the county and state forces.  Again, our crime and violence problem is linked to regional issues and we should have regional cooperation for a regional solution.

As for spending money on recreation, as an example, I can get a basketball league going two nights a week (which means two nights that these young guys won’t be on the streets) for about $3-4K.  This is a far cry from the tens of thousands it would take to hire one new police officer with benefits.  I may also be able to get this paid for without city money, similar to my soccer program that I run in town where the program is completely self-sufficient through donations and fees.  However, in light of recent events, I do think that taking a significant amount of money from the Community Development and Affordable Housing fund and investing it in recreation programs would pay both short and long-term dividends for the community.  To this end, I have been in conversations with the Mayor and we JOINTLY stated at the meeting on Wednesday that we are going to be hammering out an expanded program and attaching a dollar amount to it in the near future.

I am curious, have you called or emailed anyone in the Council majority and asked them for their plan of action on this matter?  If so, can you please let me know what information you were able to get.

On a completely different note…  I would like respond to Rev. Brown’s labeling me a "Progressive Democrat."

Progressive, yes, I will even proudly wear the mantle of liberal, (i.e. open minded and willing to accept and promote change).  I am not however, a Democrat.  I am unaffiliated at this time and the last political party I belonged to was the Republican Party.

Peace, JWK

Councilman James W. Keady

1 Municipal Plaza

Asbury Park, NJ 07712

TEL: 732.502.5196

EM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.cityofasburypark.com

Asbury park nj real estate United state flag Asbury park nj
Asbury park real estate United state travel