For a government to just gift $100K to a private company, you would
certainly want the matter addressed as to what they are going to to
with it, is it earmarked for particular purposes, is there budgets,
real contractors with insurance, etc.  Then you would want a hearing
on the matter with notice to the public.

There are equal protection issues too.  Imagine if they could on a
whim just hand out $100K to a private firm.  Imagine the next week
some councilmember saying "I move to give the Boy Scouts of America
$100K" or "I move to give the gay and Lesbian Q-Spot $100K" or "I
move to give Tommy $100K for Columbus Day Festivities."

I would think to give out that kind of money you would have to have
a stated grant program with qualifications to meet, otherwise the
penchant for fraud, abuse and patronage would be high.

I think JK is savvy enough to know he can't give away $100K of
public money to a private firm on a motion.

That's why I say he really put his fellow councilmembers in a bad
postion - they had to turn it down, but he made it look like they
don't care.

Very cheap trick.

<justifiedright@> wrote:

> > The problem is Jack if making that motion (that he knows can not
be
> > passed) is somehow showing support for the West Side, isn't he
> > putting his fellow councilmembers, who have to do the
responsible