--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Hinge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has anybody driven on Ocean Ave today? I just did. It's all paved
now, but I see what seems
> to be a huge problem. All of the manhole covers are sticking up by
a few inches. I've never
> seen a paving job done like that. I'll be honest, I don't know much
about paving but it looks
> like a disaster to me. Anybody with a low slung car is really going
to be in trouble if they
> drive there. When I first noticed this, I thought it was because it
was just the first pass at
> paving, and maybe another layer was to come. But, tonight, I
noticed that all the lines are
> painted, but centerline and parking, so there's no way they are
going to pave over the whole
> thing. Looks like a pretty poor job in my opinion. I'd urge some of
you to take a drive down
> there and see what you think.

I think the paving job is temporary, but for a while which is why
they need the lines. The manholes have to be at the height for the
finished street, but it would seem what would a few more inches of
asphalt matter to tear off later. Perhaps there is another reason
like the level of the curbs but it would seem that you could still
put a hump in the street so the manholes don't stick up. I don't know
about NJ, but in NY you have to give them prior warning. Let's send a
letter into the city about the condition and then if anyone damages
their cars there is advance notice.