Tommy,

I'm sorry that had to happen - and while I think you are right the
guy seemed like a poser in hindsight there's really know way you
could know that at the time and certainly we are talking potential
stakes that go far beyond your wallet.  Don't be angry at yourself,
instead be grateful it turned out the way it did.

If downtown is ever going to really turn around we need more
frequent and highly visible security walking the streets.  Only with
a visible presence will people really feel safe walking around and
shopping beyond just Cookman, or parking there to go to Cookman.
I've walked down from Cookman the same way you have and been a bit
nervous - not because of anything in particular other than it being
quiet.

If we're looking for things to keep our HS kids off the street and
active outside of gangs, how about hiring some of the best and
brightest to walk downtown as security, in uniforms?  Could serve
two puposes - to give kids something to do and a way to make some
money while also giving people in the area visible peace of mind.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just had dinner with my sister at Brickwall and was walking back
> my office.  Right at the corner (where the gas company was) there
> was a guy about 6'2" who tried to stop me. His attire was what I
> would expect from one of these street gang thugs.
>
> As we got closer he slowed to a stop.  The street there is very
dark
> and we were the only ones for a block in either direction.
>
> He put his right hand in his jacket pocket.  He started saying
> something to me about his gang, but he was mumbling so I couldn't
> make it out.  "Gang" was the only word that came through clearly.
>
> I said, "What?" and when he took his right hand slowly out of this
> pocket, I saw he had no weapon. I just grunted at him and walked
> past him.
>
> I've lived/worked here my whole life, and I've never been afraid
> when approached by anyone. Never. Even when I figured whomever it
> was had no good on his mind. I was always kind of proud of that.
>
> I have to say though maybe the recent shootings are affecting my
> psyche.  When he started pulling his hand out, I have to admit I
> felt a lump in my throat. First time.
>
> You know what?  I'm pissed at me.  I shouldn't have been a little
> bit upset by him.  That's what they want.  That's victory for
them.
> Even after 9-11 when people would ask if it changed my life, I
would
> always yell "Hell no! That's what they want."   Same for these
> scumbags.
>
> I think this guy was trading on recent headlines.  We were all
alone
> in the dark, and he had an out of shape, middle-aged guy in a suit
> and tie in front of him. I must look like one of those marks the
bad
> guys dream about. If he were "keeping it real" I should be writing
> to you minus my wallet.  I'm thinking he was a friggin' poser.
How