  From: rogerpoulard
  To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:52 PM
  Subject: [AsburyPark] On Homeless, Homosexuals, and the divide in Asbury Park

  I don't post here very often. It's kind of a big pit of catfighting to
  be honest, and frankly I'm pretty much a voyeur when it comes to drama.

  But I get pretty incensed when the Jersey Shore Rescue Mission issue
  comes up. Not because I support the Jersey Shore Resuce Mission,
  because in this case, I don't. And not because I support "Stand Up For
  Asbury" because I don't either. I get angry because both sides are
  sort of right.

  When this issue first started around the time I first moved in here,
  all the SUFA information on the website, was hypothetical, misleading
  and offensively wrong. The first information I found about SUFA is
  that it felt an awful lot like "Gay People against the Homeless." To
  see that makes me sad.

  A lot of the people are fighting for SUFA because they feel that
  homeless people are people too and deserve to get the services to make
  their lives as comfortable and safe as possible. It's basic charity
  and any city should be proud to offer those benefits to the weakest
  among us. But at the same time, there's an attitude of sticking it to
  the gay people who are seen as taking over the community. A lot of
  that, I've seen right here.

  I moved to Asbury Park because it felt like there was a movement to
  create a city that stands apart from the rest of the suburban shore
  that wasn't stuck in a suburban mindset and that had several diverse
  communities coming together to make something special happen.

  Like most things here, it's more of a veneer than anything else.
  There's a huge tension between a lot of the people that have been in
  Asbury Park for generations and the newer community, in particular the
  gay community.

  The truth is that the community that has something against gay folk in
  Asbury Park has to come to terms with it. This may not be something
  you are, or want to be - but it's here and the gay community is
  pumping a lot of money and support into a community that desperately
  needs it. When it comes down to it, the gay community's heart is in
  mostly the right place.

  I also think that the gay community has to realize that life isn't all
  an episode of Dynasty. There are lots of people who need help that
  aren't in our community. They are disadvantaged, they are often
  discriminated against and face a lot of similar barriers that openly
  gay people face from a lot of the same people. They are deserving of
  our respect and our help. They are deserving of being a part of our
  greater community, and working together does more for us than just
  trying to squeeze them out.

  In this case, we have a homeless population that needs our help. We
  owe it to them and to ourselves to help them. No, we aren't doing
  enough. Jersey Shore Rescue Mission isn't the answer - but when the
  answer comes along - we damn sure have an obligation to support it.
  Because it's the right thing to do for Asbury Park - property values
  be damned.

  Roger