--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

While 911 is good outside your hometown, I prefer to call local - like
531-1800 for Ocean Twp.

I've called 911 a few times locally in OT, and I wind up spelling the
name of the street(s), spelling my name etc while the op is connecting
me (trying) to Ocean Twp police.

Then the police ask you why you didn't call 911 if you call direct. At
least that's been my experience.

also, never try to dial a 917 area code and forget what you're doing
and hang up and try it 2 or 3 more times. Dial 911 (instead of "7')
and do it agin, hanging up after you misdial 911. Next thing you know
it, you have a swat team at your house banging on your door and you
start cursing who the f is banging on the door, you open it and its
the police. Experience.

And sharon the police have to ask - caller id is only gives you the
name of the owner of the phone and 95% of the time, the correct
address. Police are dispatched (supposed to be) immediately when 911
is received to the address the call came from.

And calls from cell phones don't help.

All pay phones should have a built in camera and should all be
monitored for illegal activity. nice, right?