Petty complaint?  If you think people meeting on their front porches
every night for 80 years, then suddenly the government plants trees
so they can't see one another is "pettY" then you just don't know
what it means to be part of an old Italian neighborhood.

The folks on Drummond are mostly the original families that built
the homes (pretty rare).  The are elderly.  The city sent them some
pink or yellow flyer saying they could reject the trees, but most of
the old folks thought it was junk mail and threw it out.

One guy read it and objected to the trees.

Trees like anything else are subject to too much of a good thing
being can do bad.

Like Pivinski.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm curious about something.
> It's this comment, which I believe harkens back to a TCN story;
>
> "What Pivinski did on Drummond Avenue was a disaster. He imposed
> upon an 80-year-old culture of neighbors talking on their porches
> after dinner, by planting trees in their sightlines."
>
> Has anybody on Drummond ever actually come forward and complained
> about the trees?
>
> This whole issue of complaining about tree planting is a bizarre
> argument in my opinion. Trees do nothing but good for both the
> environment and a community. I guess here in AP everything is up
for
> petty complaints.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > Well Paul if Asbury Park is truly multi-cultural, then we are
> > certainly going to have people who look at things differently
> > (otherwise we aren't diverse, are we?).  You and I look at
Pivinski
> > differently.
> >
> > You like what Pivinski did with the Sunset Lake trees.  Well
Werner
> > probably sees it as needlessly destroying the last historic open
> > vista in Asbury Park, and I see it as an illegal action because
> > the "Shade Tree" Commission has no authority to turn itself into
> > a "Pretty Committee" by planting other than shade trees.
> >
> > (By the way those trees are dying;  I couldn't be happier about
it).

> > What Pivinski did on Drummond Avenue was a disaster.  He imposed
> > upon an 80-year-old culture of neighbors talking on their
porches
> > after dinner, by planting trees in their sightlines.
> >
> > To those people camaraderie is more important than privacy, but
when
> > you give power to a guy like Pivinski, well he just couldn't
care
> > less about what the people he affects thinks.
> >
> > I see that his stealing my column writing style was, to you,
> > unimportant enough for you to not bring it up;  that may be the
> > point.  It is probably only important to me, because it belonged
> > me.  To hurt one person as opposed to many doesn't make it right.
> >
> > I don't dispute Pivinski would like to do good - he just has to
stop
> > being such a bully about it and imposing himself on people.
> >
> > By the way, every time he criticized me in print, he expected me
> > greet him with smiles and remain his friend.  I never
disappointed
> > him in that regard.
> >
> > If he takes umbrage at this post, he again allows us to measure
his
> > mettle.
> >
> > If he doesn't like it, as long as he plagiarizes my writing, as
we
> > used to say in the old days, he can kiss my ass in Steinbach's
> > window for all the world to see.
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Vail" <vailpj@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tom Pivinski does nothing but bust his behind to make Asbury
Park
> > > better place to live in.  He has transformed the city by
planting
> > > trees in every quarter and has literally pulled tons of $#%!
out
> > of
> > > Sunset Lake with his bare hands.  Now he lends his background
and
> > > expertise to the Asbury Park School Board. He does nothing but
> > serve
> > > Asbury Park without back bighting and incessent self promotion.
> > >
> > > As for Frank D'Alesandro, my opinions remain mixed at best.
My
> > > first instinct is to respect anyone who volunteers for public
> > > service.  However, there are things he has done which do not
set
> > > well with me.
> > >
> > > The one I find hardest to stomach was his treatment of Garrett
> > > Giberson.  Frank tried to stab Garrett in the back ahead of
the
> > last
> > > school board elections.  Garrett, always a gentleman, never
> > > mentioned it.  It wasn't necessary.  In the end Garrett
obtained
> > > more votes than anyone else who ran in that election.
> > >
> > > Frank also writes about the need to build bridges with the
city
> > > council but at the same time finds all sorts of reasons not
to.
> > In
> > > fact, Frank has publically slandered the council more than
once in
> > > his opinion piece in the Coaster.  Not a great way to start
the
> > > bridge building process.
> > >
> > > If building bridges is one of the things it will take to
improve
> > the
> > > education of Asbury Park school children, I would expect Frank
> > be
> > > the first one at the river bank with hammer and nails to get
the
> > job
> > > done.  After all, that is why I voted for him.
> > >
> > > Frank D'Alesandro writes beautifully and is clearly passionate
> > about
> > > his role.  But he would serve Asbury's school children better
by
> > > removing the poison from his pen.
> > >
> > > Paul Vail
> > >

> > > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"