--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well Paul if Asbury Park is truly multi-cultural, then we are
> certainly going to have people who look at things differently
> (otherwise we aren't diverse, are we?).  You and I look at Pivinski
> differently.

     Just to set the record straight, I vigorously supported Tom and
voted for him.  I applaud his sense of civic responsibility, even if I
do disagree with some of the results of it.  And although I do
disagree with him on certain BOE issues, I still believe he has the
best interests of the kids at heart, even if he does not believe that
I do.  I have already told him that privately.

      I disagree with Tom on the issue of the state "monitor". We
probably agree that after the convulsions of the past decade, we
deserve to be monitored and to have state oversight.  But the
decisions should not be made by the paid, unelected "monitor".  They
still have to be made by the elected, unpaid officials.  If not, then
the voters will have been disenfranchised.  The Commissioner of
Education claims that the "monitor" has veto power over all the
decisions of the Board; she never claimed that he makes peremptory
decisions. And that's what this particular gentleman (by the way, a
nice guy in my opinion) has been doing.

    I think the "monitor" has gotten the message by now that it's the
BOE and its Acting Superintendent who should be making policy, and not
the lawyers or himself.  He and the lawyers can give advice, and he
can monitor and perhaps "veto", but that's all.

     As for Tom, he is just beginning his stay on the board, mine ends
permanently (and I mean permanently) in April.  I hope he comes to the
realization that being elected means you have the responsibility to
make the decisions in the name of the people who elected you, not to
have someone elected by no one making those decisions in advance for
you.  Somehow I have faith that he and some other Board members will
come to that conclusion.  Happily, some board members already have.

     The people of Asbury Park who exercised their franchise did not
elect rubber stamps.

                                           Frank