I agree with Oakdof. I lived in Costa Rica for a while and I speak
very little Spanish (I studied French in school). The people there
were wonderfully compassionate and most spoke English. They were
more than happy to speak to me in English and teach me Spanish along
the way. There is a huge ex-pat community there and the majority of
them do not speak Spanish or are learning to speak Spanish. Now, if
I moved there, I would learn Spanish, but it may take a while and I
would hope that people would be kind as I learned the language. It
is actually very difficult to learn a whole new language as an
adult!

Part of my family is from Belgium and my cousins there speak MANY
languages. Learning how to communicate with people is a wonderful
thing and I wish that I spoke as many languages as my cousins, but,
unfortunately American schools are not very good in that regard. I
consider this a part of American ignorance and not something that we
should be proud of.

If there is a significant population here that speaks Spanish
primarily, we should have police officers who can communicate with
that community, if it is Hatian, we should have people who can
communicate with that community. It would only help us as a
community to be able to communicate with a majority of its
residents. Now, we cannot have cops that speak every language, but
if there are large numbers of people who speak a certain language,
we should have some police officers who can communicate with that
group.

Besos.

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > English Only!!
> >
> > Not xenophobic, rather caring and compassionate.
> >
> > You can't get ahead financially without speaking English.  You
> can't
> > fit in socially without speaking English.
> >
> > For THEIR sakes, English Only!!
> >

> 1. If you get to travel to Mexico, do you expect the Mexicans to
> speak english?
> A: I expect most people to answer yes, to capture tourista
dineros...

> Tommy,
>
> I'd hope Howell has funds for classes such as Spanish, Italian, or
> German. If you look at some of the top performing highschools in
> America - many also offer Japanese, Latin, etc - besides "english
as
> a second language".
>
> Most schools only require 2 years for high school language -
> the "easy" way out is Spanish. I think my son started in about 2nd
> grade in OT then maybe once a week. So if he getting a D in
Spanish