It's a great point you make.

I have a winderful picture hanging in my office.  It is from 1928.
About 3 to 4 feet wide.

It's 150 Immigrants being sworn in as citizens at the White House.
President Coolidge did the swearing in.  My grandfater is in the
picture, having been sworn in that day.

The people in the photo are dressed in their Sunday best, beaming
with pride.

The picture is marded "Americanization School of the State of New
Jersey."

I checked into the history, particularly with the State.

"Americanization Schools"  were common back during large European
immigration days.

They were held by companies who hired immigrants, and social
organizations like the Sons of Italy, Sons of Shillelagh, etc.

At the "Americanization" school, the Immigrants would learn about
the language, the clothing, money, food, government, social
expectations, schools, etc.

Once completed, they would be assited in taking the test for
citizenship.

It was wonderful, and a great way to help immigrants assimilate into
America; they were proud to do it.

NOW IMAGINE TODAY!!!  Could you imagine if a big company today set
up an Americanization school!?!?!

The ACLU would sue.  Certain folks would claim "xenophobia"
and "prejudice" "racism" and "intolerance" and claim these poor
folks were having their "culture disrespected."

So while I agree I'd like to see opportunities like the for
immigrants, you just go ahead and try it, and see how you get
labeled.
--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<asburycouple@>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > So perhaps rather than simply
> > > villifying those who can't speak the language an effort can be
> made
> > > to provide an opportunity to learn English?
> >
> > Who is doing the villifying?  Who is clamoring for opportunities
> > learn English?  Please compare.
> >
> > I've said many times my prodding for them to learn English is
> > compassion toward them.  Success comes much easier with the
English