My intention there was not to point the word "villifying" at you -
you have not in your posts and Tom I apologize to you if you feel I
implied that sepcifically regarding you.  It was more of a general
statement because many in this country do.

Aside from that, there are two points I was making.

One was that perhaps we should provide opportunities that help them
make that transition.  Learning a language is not easy - made harder
when you work long hours for little pay and live amoung people who
speak your native tongue rather than the one you want to learn.

Second was that the police have a job to do, and saddling them with a
mandate that makes it more difficult for them to do it is a mistake.
Similar to when the federal government madates the states without
funding - forcing them to redirect funding from their own priorities
to the federal governments.  I want the police to fight crime using
whatever tactics are required, including speaking whatever languages
necessary to accomplish their tasks.

Any thoughts on the points I was trying to make.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <asburycouple@>
> wrote:
>
> > So perhaps rather than simply
> > villifying those who can't speak the language an effort can be
made
> > to provide an opportunity to learn English?
>
> Who is doing the villifying?  Who is clamoring for opportunities to
> learn English?  Please compare.
>
> I've said many times my prodding for them to learn English is
> compassion toward them.  Success comes much easier with the English
> language in America.  No one can dispute that, so all the
> encouragement to speak English is a help to them, not
villification.