You know, it is funny. There is a lot of talk here about the "west
side" and on app.com as well lately. I tried to sell my houes last
spring on the east side so that I could buy a bigger house on the
west side. My house now is tiny. Anyway, I could not sell at what I
thought was a good price and I did not want to drop it any lower so
I gave up for now.

The west side is not that bad, depending on where you are. Close to
Sunset, it is actually quite lovely. Then it changes slowly as you
travel south. From a residential real estate perspective, I think
buying a house and holding for a while, that is where you would get
the best return... buying right on the edge from where it turns from
good to not so good. Because slowly, where it is not so good will be
good and you are likely to get a decent price.

I have friends on Monroe, as an example, and their street is turning
over house by house. There are still major problems there, but it is
changing. I would not go any lower myself into that south west
corner until things change even more. But I think when people talk
about the Wwest side, they really mean that south west corner, right?

Anyway, I still say the number one thing we need is cops cops and
more cops. There are many great investments, many ways to help the
city, but until the crime rate is down and the perception is
changed, the rest does not matter. We need police on foot, bike or
horse patrol, walking through the same neighborhoods every day,
getting to know the people. We need undercover stings at all the
drug spots, over and over. Let the drug dealers know we mean
business. If people are just hanging around, people need to be asked
to move on, no loitering. There should be visible police walking
cookman, main, springwood, the boardwalk at all times.

Take these crazy tax dollars I spend, and the new tax base that
comes in (hopefully as it comes) and spend it 1. police. 2. schools,
and after school programs.