Here's another thought. Once a council meeting happens, where does one go to
read
about it? Certainly not on the city website. Maybe people would be more
interested in
attending if they had the opportunity to see (if there were a video archive) or
read about
what happens at the meetings.
On a related note, I'm wondering what the issue was concerning the Empress
Hotel. Does
anybody know anything about that.
Also, does anybody think that the redevelopment of the 1st Ave. pavilion kinda
overstepped their bounds by blocking the view of the ocean side rooms?

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Right on! Great post!
> As one of those 17k people, i've attended council meetings, and i'll be
> honest, being
there
> felt like a complete waste of my time. The one time I got up and spoke before
> the
council,
> they sat there and stared at me like "see no evil, hear no evil..." and I
> felt like I was just
> talking to hear my own voice.
> The reason I went was to talk about the appalling condition of all of the
> fences
> surrounding the various construction sites.
> After that council meeting, I decided to try something different, so I sent
> an email
directly
> to Hugh Lamie of MD Sass, which I believe is the parent company of AP
> Partners. Within
> days of sending that email, the fences were improved.
> Also, not all of us have the kind of schedule that allows us to attend the
> council
meetings.
> I certainly don't. I'd like to think that this forum has an effect on the
> city.
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "chris.hartsgrove" <chris.hartsgrove@>
> wrote:
> >
> > True enough... but let's be realistic. Of that 17k, how many are vocal? How
> > many have
> > voice, let alone one that's actually heard in what goes on in the "rebirth"
> > of Asbury
Park?
> > And how many of those voices are responsible for the insane Imminent Domain
policies,
> > or the comical contracts entered into with redevelopers that allow things
> > like the
> > wasteland that is the second two Kushner properties of the Waterfront
> > Skeleton Part II
> > happen?
> >
> >  And if you want to bring up council meetings... what happened earlier
> > tonight? Let's
> just
> > see if anyone on this message board decides to talk about how one of the
> > most
> successful
> > night spots in the downtown was threatened with the loss of it's very
> > livelihood
because
> > few people seem to believe that we should all be in bed by ten PM.
> >
> > Please excuse me for generalizing... it's very easy to do when you talk
> > about large
> groups
> > of people. I kinda came of age in this town, and I would like to believe
> > that I have a
> fairly
> > decent grasp of the amorphous quality that makes this place unique. When I
> > look at
the
> > majority of vocal people in this town over the past 20 years, I'm fairly
> > disgusted that
it's
> > been allowed to fall to the lows that it has achieved. And the fact that
> > it's managed to
> rise
> > to the level that it has is being seriously undermined by a vocal majority
> > that's too
busy
> squabbling amongst itself to notice that the artistic, musical, cultural,
> accepting,
> > subversive, and downright beautiful qualities that make Asbury Park unique
> > are being
> > stolen, torn down, paved over, and made into parking for fucking Pier
> > Village V2.0.
> >
> > But in the words of a much better writer than myself... that's just my
> > opinion, I could
be