> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <hinge98@> wrote:
> >
> > As much as I love riding on the boardwalk
>
> The operative word - boardWALK.
>
> That is why the most successful paths, physically separate pedestrians
> (runners and walkers) from bikers. The problem with one of the best -
> Hudson River Park - is that pedestrians don't pay attention and
> walk/run in the bike lane.
>
> This is a boardwalk. It is meant for people to stroll. Bikes and
> pedestrians are as incompatible as bikes and cars.

One of the few successful businesses on the boardwalk last summer (And maybe
the
summer before? I'm pretty sure this is their third season) was Brielle Cyclery.
Now they've
moved up to the other end of the boardwalk. Considering that their store is
open on the
boardwalk side of the pavilion it would seem that bicycles coming and going is
kinda
expected (the Ocean Ave. side has the wooden deck, which isn't very accessible
by bike).
And from what I remember of last summer, they had bike rentals lined up in
front of their
old store. You can bet that the owners of the store are paying a pretty penny
to be there,
and a portion of it is probably based off of a percentage of their sales. So I
doubt that
Mattison Marquette is going to allow a law to be enforced that essentially
takes away one
of their tenant's ability to do business.

And if bikes are incompatible with both pedestrians AND cars, what exactly are
we
supposed to do? Stick pontoons on our beach cruisers and try our luck with the
boats out
on the ocean?