I am from an Italian/Jewish family and was never offended by the
term "Guido" or "Guidette," nor did I ever take it as an ethnic slur.
It refers to a style of dress and interests, not the identification
of someone as Italian. In that way, it is more akin to calling
someone a "hippy," or "metal head," or "burnout," or "preppie."
A "preppie," for example, was often someone of anglo-saxon descent
who attended prep school, right? But, really it is used to identify a
manner of dress, or interests... Someone would be identified (or may
self-identify) as a "Guido" not because they are Italian, but because
he dresses a certain way. There are many "Guidos" who are not
Italian, and vice versa.

The term has been around for quite a while. My high school in North
Jersey was pretty evenly divided into girls who were identified
as "preppies" (flat hair- bob haircut, silver jewelry, short nails)
and "guidettes" (big hair, gold jewelry, long nails...) I was always
identified as a prep (although really I was an artsy, theater
person), and many of the "guidettes" were Irish (it was a Catholic
school). I can remember very clearly my friends Patty (Puerto Rican)
and Moira (Irish) trying to get my hair to stand up for fun (like
theirs) because they thought my flat, bob haircut was boring and lame.

Another thought, although it may be used offensively depending on
tone and context, "guido" was generally not used as an insult, just
as I said, it was simply a way of defining what style that person
liked. Now, the term can be used as an insult, just like "hippy" can
be an insult "Look at that lazy, worthless hippy..." Or, not "What
can I say? I have always been a hippy and in that way, I am not
really into material things."

Now, I have not read the newsletter, but I gather that it was the
offensive tone/context that the mayor used that was more offensive
then the term he used. (sounds like he is a pompous ass) And, anyone
in any public office should not say anything that could be construed
as an ethnic slur. But, coming form an Italian background myself, I
personally am not offended by the term itself.