"I think Dan Wolf nails it pretty well here. Read the first four pages:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader?ie=UTF8&p=S00F&asin=1582345090
It's not the past, it's the promise."

i don't have time to give your thoughts time right now. thanks so much
for them, always a pleasure to read your posts.

i have a copy of wolf's book with a marker half way through (like many
of my books). i remember being a little blown away by it and will have
to start it again. just the first couple a paragraphs reminded me of
what i am in for. i am too dismissive of others' expectations for this
place. but in that idea of "promise" there is a massive discussion
about what it is simply to be a human being in our world. maybe there
is a reason ap is a sort of vortex for that searching.