Yes, the city needs every dime it can find.
But taking those dimes at the risk of perpetuating our bad reputation isn't
worth it in my
opinion.
Either parking is free, or it isn't, and it's the cities responsibility to
publicize it, and it's
done a horrible job doing so.
I'm sorry, but there's no defense for taking peoples money when they are
unaware that
parking is free.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <wernera...@...> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <hinge98@> wrote:
> >
> > Just letting people pay for parking when it's free is complete BS. Werner,
> > don't you get
> the
> > point that one of the issues that AP is constantly dealing with is decades
> > of bad PR
> about
> > the city? So, you get people coming here for a concert or dinner, they
> > mistakenly pay
> > park, and when they find out it was actually free, they will then complain
> > to their
> friends
> > about the ridiculous parking situation in our city.
> > Bottom line, city is once again dropping the ball by not properly informing
> > the public.
> > Letting people pay is ripping them off.
>
> WADR - Don't you get that the City needs every dime it can find?
>
> Should the city refund all the parking fees it collected for decades from the
> old
> mechanical meters that were not in official operation ? There has been free
> parking
since
> the 80s yet people bought peace of mind by putting a quarter in the slot. The
> City was
> happy to collect 100s of thousands in revenue during that time.
>
> There has been much discussion about a 50 cent an hour fee not being a big
> deal when
> a night out can cost $50 +++. Complaints should be directed to our policy
> makers. The
> initial proposal was to suspend enforcement so as not to aggravate people
> with
summonses and fines. Nw that was a good idea until the bugs were worked out.