The park as a space is a failure in current day Asbury Park.  It's not a
destination for anyone, it's an avoidance.  The value of the park (or any park
for that matter) is for the people who have the right to use it as a public
space and with its current reputation, it's not very welcoming.  Currently and
for a long while it hasn't been a great space... when something doesn't work it
needs to be fixed.

The layout of the park wont change and the entire space is remaining as a park.
 So a part of the lawn won't be there... what part of the population will that
upset?  Now instead there will be a great reason for people to want to spend
time there.  Asbury Park is a great community for dogs and dog owners... being
that not only the animals, but the people who own them, are an important part
of the community they should absolutely have a right to the space.

Progress and preservation don't need to always be enemies.  The give and take
here is fairly simple.  Give the dogs and their owners a great public space and
they'll give back to the community by making a space a wonderful place to spend
time.

The park's historical glory will only return when the people come to cherish
the space again.