C'da,

>*** No, that is not what I wrote. The comment  was about the expertise of the >preachers. Surprised that you who have a keen eye for words and phrases and their >hidden meanings, not to mention the ones staring at the reader

You are right. Must have slipped thru somehow. Just making these preachers the same as the actual bidnessmen. So, what you are saying is that there are very few experts (at least the ones we come across) who are cabable of giving sound advice on business startup, and lest we forget, on capital acquisition.

>*** Are you implying "maahor maar dekhi tile' bet melile'" here >Ram :-)?

Well, one never knows how far you could dig into those dreaded archives, and fish out something. Just not taking chances here :) :)

>>Now, of course didn't happen to ask any of our ulfa leaders too, did you?

>*** No I did not. Mainly because I don't know any. Do you know some? If you do, >perhaps you can pose the question to them.

Of course, I don't know any either. But I thought, since you were the one asking these tricky(pesky) questions, and since you are so 'fair and balanced' you perhaps would have made sure to ask both parties :Sulfa and ulfa. Both have managed to raise huge amounts of capital (and without the proverbial collateral).

>*** Perhaps Umesh will blaze a trail here. Or would he :-)?

Poor Umesh! He just took the Education degree, not the bidness, and who knows whether he took the ethics course (from which, of course, most Indians are exempt) :) :)

--Ram

On 9/26/06, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ram:

>You are not suggesting that a vast majority of Kharkhowas are clueless about starting a business, are you?, ie no entrepreneurial spirit - whether they are in Assam or here?

*** No, that is not what I wrote. The comment  was about the expertise of the preachers. Surprised that you who have a keen eye for words and phrases and their hidden meanings, not to mention the ones staring at the reader,  did not get it :-).

However we DID examine the reasons for so few of us kharkhowa expats . being in business enterprises, even though here in the USA for example, it is far,far of easier to get into, than it is in India, or Assam. But it is NOT because of a defective gene as some like to suggest :-). Our risk-averseness has many reasons, all are sociologically and educationally conditioned responses.

>Now, of course didn't happen to ask any of our ulfa leaders too, did you?

*** No I did not. Mainly because I don't know any. Do you know some? If you do, perhaps you can pose the question to them.

However it is a fact, that ULFA leaders are/were far more entrepreneurial and courageous risk-takers with leadership abilities than the average population. That is why you also saw so many SULFA cadres get into it too. They also had a huge advantage as SULFAs: Free capital, bankrolled by the " government of the people", without any requirement for paying back; a private system of justice by which they could ensure market share, collection of payments and debts and ensure bid winning. I know some nasty people decried that, but aren't those the right requisites for business enterprises ?

>Hehehe! that does it for me. I will try not to suggest any ideas for >entrepreneurship  (at this time at least)

*** Are you implying "maahor maar dekhi tile' bet melile'" here Ram :-)?

>A start though maybe to introduce a course in entrepreneurship (specifically >designed for the local market there).

*** It is ALL about risks and benefits Ram. IF someone can make a decent living
WITHOUT taking the risks implicit in enterprise, and one does not yearn for those EXTRA benefits or earnings that COULD come from business, then you won't see entrepreneurship. Almost all of us kharkhowa expats here have an education that ensures a decent living without the risks involved. And most of us are quite happy with our lot, without the desire to acquire MORE, that could come from a profitable business. So why take on the hassles of business/enterprise?

>From what I gather, Harvard is one of the few institutions that offer a course >in entrepreneurship (and ethics) in their Business School.

*** Perhaps Umesh will blaze a trail here. Or would he :-)?

c-da

At 9:35 AM -0500 9/26/06, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da,

> Actually several years back I CHALLENGED another bunch of >such advisers in Assam Net to describe HOW they would start. >There was NOT  a single reply
You are not suggesting that a vast majority of Kharkhowas are clueless about starting a business, are you?, ie no entrepreneurial spirit - whether they are in Assam or here?

>Then I challenged a prakton-Ulfa, or SULFA, leader
> then doing doing business in Assam and who too were advising >others in Assam Net to take up business ( obviously as an >antidote to insurgency), to tell us how one might begin, how to get >capital if one did not have collateral

Now, of course didn't happen to ask any of our ulfa leaders too, did you? They might be willing to divulge how to get capital without a collateral. I hear they are pretty adept at it. :)

> I have those exchanges in my archives. If someone would like to >read them, let me know.
Hehehe! that does it for me. I will try not to suggest any ideas for entrepreneurship  (at this time at least).
A start though maybe to introduce a course in entrepreneurship (specifically designed for the local market there). From what I gather, Harvard is one of the few institutions that offer a course in entrepreneurship (and ethics) in their Business School.