Ram-da and C-da,

I am indeed thinking of setting up a firm in US - I'm
told even on student visa one can set up a US firm as
long as you rope in someone else (US citizen ) to do
the dirty work :-)

I think a reading of the extremely pirated book : What
they don't teach at Harvard Business School --would be
useful to anyone interested in building confidence to
start a business. I do have some business experience
since my teen years -helping my father set-up a iron
junk trading business. Slow and steady wins the race.
He had no degree in business or commerce -just advice
from established players in the field.

I did an MBA from a small rural town in India - the
kind which Cambridge city was (near Boston) when
Harvard Univ was set up -and the city was named after
Cambridge Univ from which many of its residents had
graduated. In today's world of Opensource courseware
(liek MIT's gift to the world) even univs in India or
Assam in particular - can teach what is taught at
Harvard.

In that sense those who have gone abroad /outside
Assam and got business experience can certainly use
their contacts and skills.

Regards.

Umesh

****A start though maybe to introduce a course in

--- Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > >Then I challenged a prakton-Ulfa, or SULFA,
> leader
> > > then doing doing business in Assam and who too
> were advising >others in
> > Assam Net to take up business ( obviously as an
> >antidote to insurgency), to
> > tell us how one might begin, how to get >capital
> if one did not have
> > collateral
> >
> > Now, of course didn't happen to ask any of our
> ulfa leaders too, did you?
> > They might be willing to divulge how to get
> capital without a collateral. I
> > hear they are pretty adept at it. :)
> >
> > > I have those exchanges in my archives. If
> someone would like to >read
> > them, let me know.
> >
> > Hehehe! that does it for me. I will try not to
> suggest any ideas for
> > entrepreneurship  (at this time at least).
> >
> > A start though maybe to introduce a course in
> entrepreneurship
> > (specifically designed for the local market
> there). From what I gather,
> > Harvard is one of the few institutions that offer
> a course in
> > entrepreneurship (and ethics) in their Business
> School.
> >

> > --Ram
> >

> > On 9/26/06, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > I have gotten used to the well-meaning advice
> and exhortations of our
> > > fellow kharkhowas about how to pull Assam out of
> its miseries by
> > > starting industries,by being entrepreneurs and
> so forth. I smile to
> > > myself, wondering why these advisers work for
> wages, mostly clerical
> > > work, far from home , in environments where it
> is far easier to
> > > become entrepreneurs .
> > >
> > > Something is patently contradictory here isn't
> it?
> > >
> > > I have pondered over it often. My guess, so far,
> is that, well
> > > meaning as they are, they have NO clue :-).
> > >
> > > Actually several years back I CHALLENGED another
> bunch of such
> > > advisers in Assam Net to describe HOW they would
> start. There was NOT
> > > a single reply. Then I challenged a
> prakton-Ulfa, or SULFA, leader
> > > then doing doing business in Assam and who too
> were advising others
> > > in Assam Net to take up business ( obviously as
> an antidote to
> > > insurgency), to tell us how one might begin, how
> to get capital if
> > > one did not have collateral, how to build a
> market, how to
> > > distribute, how to get an operating line of
> credit, so on and so
> > > forth. And last but not the least, how to make
> sure of getting paid
> > > for delivering goods or services, and if there
> is a contract default,
> > > how to go about resolving such a dispute, who to
> rely on?
> > >
> > > The silence was deafening.
> > >
> > > I have those exchanges in my archives. If

Umesh Sharma
5121 Lackawanna ST
College Park, MD 20740 USA

Current temp. address: 5649 Yalta Place , Vancouver, Canada

 1-202-215-4328 [Cell Phone]
Canada # (607) 221-9433

Ed.M. - International Education Policy
Harvard Graduate School of Education,