From: Chan Mahanta
To: Rajen Barua ; Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Assam] It takes a village

At 11:13 AM -0500 5/19/05, Rajen Barua wrote:
Chandan:
I was confused.

*** No need to be confused Rajen. I know it is convenient to be confused sometimes. But like everything else, misuse or overuse, could leave people wondering :-).

I thought you were talking about changing GOI to Singapore model.

*** What about GOI transforming to a Singapore mode? Would you approve of it? If not why? And even if yes, would it be possible?

 But may be not. Looks like you are talking about Assam. taking Assam away, making her an independent country on a Singapore model? I am glad that finally you have voiced your position.

*** Singapore is only one model. I cited that, specifically, because you are stuck in the notion that improvement is not possible because the Assamese are BAD, or even the Indians are BAD, and that until they become GOOD, they are doomed. I don't think I need to tell you again what I think of that notion.  So I cited Singapore to demonstrate that the 'people are bad, and thus nothing could be done theory' of yours and staunchly supported by Ram, is a very holy one--full of large holes that is.

There are also other good models around to draw lessons from.

BTW, I have been extremely curious about your solution -- I mean how to cure the Assamese or the Indians of their BADness.

I realize that I should not expect you or anybody else to come up with a complete set of blueprints, signed, sealed and ready to submit for permits, considering that we are discussing and debating concepts, and that none of us have either the expertise or the resources to deliver a complete plan.  But how about just the concept/s?

I know some of you have demanded detailed solutions of me, but I know why. That is only because you all had trouble rebutting my ideas conceptually, so you had to resort to attacking them on grounds that I had never proposed a detailed solution blueprint. But that is kind of childish, won't you think? I mean, who are you kidding?  That is insulting the intelligence of Assam Netters. I may not agree with many Netters' ideas or beliefs, but I would not insult their intelligence with such tactics or arguments.

I say, Best of Luck. Get the support of the Assamese people and go for it.

*** Thanks for the support. But you did not explain whether you think it is a good  idea or bad. Do you believe it would be good for Assam? If not why not?

That is the beauty of democracy. You can do what you want with the support of the majority.

*** This can be tricky  you know? For example, what if a majority vote in CORRUPTION as a preferred way of life? Or stealing from others? Or oppressing the minorities and the weak?  Of course I mean democratically, with majority approval.

Also, since you and others have decide that the majority of the people are BAD, how could they be trusted to vote in or support something GOOD? And even if they did vote in something good, how could you be sure it is not merely for show? And like the bad people they are, how could you be sure they will not start degrading it from day one?

It seems to me here that there is a big flaw in your concept of democracy.  There is a big fallacy.

But what is it? Think about it Rajen.

 If some monority opposes, you can always play desi-demokresi.

*** This comment further demonstrates and accentuates the fact that the concept of democracy that you throw around is fallacious and flawed. It is a double whammy.

Question now is if you realize what you are missing. I know you are eminently able to figure out where the fallacies lie. I also think you wrote what you did on a knee-jerk response, without thinking things thru. But just so you don't leave everyone guessing, perhaps you will retract and explain, what you missed here.

Don't worry, we won't think of you as untrustworthy or any such thing. We all slip sometime. The trick here is to be able to correct ourselves when we figure out, or are shown, what the mistakes are.

It is the ability to learn from ones mistakes that separates one from the incorrigible, like operators of desi-demokrasy often are.

Take care.

Rajen