C'da,

> *** I can't say anything about Bihar or others. But Look at Tamil
> Nadu--is it governed well to your knowledge? How about Andhra? And
> Gujarat?

That is precisely my point. Some states may actually benefit from
autonomy. While others like Bihar will still have to be spoon-fed.
Imagine an autonomous Bihar. It would put the wild west to shame.

And where does Assam stand? Will autonomy be good/bad for Assam? If
yes, how much and what doses?  What does Assam envision being
autonomous?

You may be the better person to answer those questions. You & I know
that with autonomy comes a responsibilty. What happens if after a few
years the experiment doesn't work for Assam.

In spite of these doubts/questions, I still believe that some sort of
autonomy is good for the states. If granted, autonomy should be
available to all states, not just a few.

 *** Who is arguing here about autonomy for autonomy's sake? In fact
> if I remember correctly, other than your very faulty response, other
> supporters of autonomy could not articulate a single sentence why
> they propose autonomy for Assam.

Now, now C'da, you don't expect anyone to fess up that they were
demanding autonomy for autonomy's sake, do you? :-).

The demands or desires for autonomy or independence cannot be just
slogans and 'feel-good' attributes. These are serious matters, and as
such people who want these must come up with valid reasons.

I think, I pretty well know the reasons why states in India should be
given some sort of autonomy, and I can list those if you desire. But I
would like to hear from others too.

 >They would be the ones who fit your  description, and they usually
argue from >your side of the divide

Heh!heh!, one would hope there are no sides, and if they do exist, we
are all on the right side :-)

BTW: I hope you had a chance to read about the Singaporean style of 'democracy'
Do we still want to emulate Singapore?

--Ram