At 6:39 PM -0700 6/10/05, Rajib Das wrote:
Somehow I fail to understand, how without this
"cloning" (in a sovereign entity) this is going to be
any different.

*** Clone of a defective system is more defective progeny. What part of 'garbage in, garbage out' hard to fathom?

The "cloning" effect not only touches the GOA,
evidently it touches the militants and the
intellectuals as well.

Nothing selective about this cloning effect in Assam.

--- Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 >If 'cloning' was the problem, how is that we don't
 read about stark
 >examples from other states?

 *** That is because you are selective about what you
 want to read or
 hear, Ram. In fact this kind of thing is the rule
 and not the
 exception. But I will be sure to post something
 like this for your
 info., when I come across one.

 At 4:35 PM -0500 6/10/05, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
 >C'da,
 >
 >>  *** Incisive, steel trap minded observation Ram.
 >
 >Thanks for the compliment, though throughly
 undeserving.

 >>Goes to prove, once again, that the Assamese are
 unfit to govern themselves.

 >That is your unique way of gross generalizations.
 No, I was only
 >referring to the GOA. The Assamese (people) were in
 fact the victims.

 >It is the GOA that is not able to govern. A
 situation like this where
 >someone is held in Tezpur for 58 years, never
 produced for trial - ie
 >the individual was basically forgotten by the GOA.
 And its not just
 >one case, there were 5.
 >
 >It is no use saying that the GOA has learned this
 from the Center,
 >because I seriously doubt, if you will find such
 cases in other
 >states, where prisoners and inmates are forgotten
 by the authorities
 >to fall between the cracks and ignored for
 eternity.

 >If 'cloning' was the problem, how is that we don't
 read about stark
 >examples from other states? Wern't they also cloned
 in the GOI's

 wrote:
 >>  >  >And in the end, as usual, it took an outside
 body (the NHRC) to point
 >>  >this out to the GOA.
 >>

 >>  *** Incisive, steel trap minded observation Ram.
 Goes to prove, once
 >>  again, that the Assamese are unfit to govern
 themselves.

 >>  But of course the system of justice of
 desi-demokrasy and the Assam
 >>  Govt cloned in the likeness of Indian Govt. has
 nothing to do with
 >>  anything.
 >>
 >>  Hurricane force spinning Ram, that is what is
 :-)

 >>  At 3:27 PM -0500 6/10/05, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
 >>  >C'da,
 >>  >
 >>  >This is indeed shocking and really disturbing.
 I am little confused by
 >>  >the term 'under-trial'. Are these people
 awaiting a trial, once they
 >>  >are held mentally competent to do so?
 >>  >
 >>  >In any case this is just horrible.
 >>  >
 >>  >>   NHRC has come upon a case of five
 undertrials who have spent decades
 >>  >>  in jail
 >>  >
 >>  >This is a serious blot on successive
 governments in Assam, the local
 >>  >administration of mental institutions etc.
 >>  >
 >>  >And in the end, as usual, it took an outside
 body (the NHRC) to point
 >>  >this out to the GOA. If they did not, the GOA,
 would have never have
 >>  >on their own to either point this out or take
 steps to remedy it.
 wrote:
 >>  >>  Torture that goes beyond madness
 >>  >>
 >>  >>  TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 2005
 09:03:45 PM ]
 >>  >>  Surf 'N' Earn -Sign innow
 >>  >>  NEW DELHI: If any proof of the complete
 failure of criminal justice
 >>  >>  system was needed, here are not one but five
 examples.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   NHRC has come upon a case of five
 undertrials who have spent decades
 >>  >>  in jail. One of them has spent 54 years in
 > jail, while the other four
 >>  >>  have prison experience of more than three
 decades each.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   All are now inmates of a mental hospital in
 Tezpur.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   An upset commission on Friday asked
 inspector general (prisons),
 >>  >>  Assam, and the state's chief secretary to
 respond within two weeks.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   The matter was reported to the commission
 by its rapporteur Chaman
 >>  >>  Lal who visited the hospital on March 31 and
 April 1.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   While all cases are shocking, the worst is
 the plight of Machang
 >>  >>  Lalung, now 77, who has been an undertrial
 for 54 years. The others
 >>  >>  are Khalilur Rehman, who has spent 35 years
 there, Anil Kumar Burman,
 >>  >>  who has been there for 33 years, Sonamani
 Deb, for 32 years, and
 >>  >>  Parbati Mallik, who has been in the mental
 asylum for 32 years.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   Lalung now works in the hospital garden
 without communicating
 >>with anybody.
 >  > >>
 >>  >>  The medical superintendent has stated that
 he is not on any
 >>  >>  psychotropic medicine for several years and
 is free of any active
 >>  >>  signs of mental illness. Despite that,
 Lalung has not been produced
 >>  >>  in the trial court after August 9, 1967.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   Similarly, Rehman has been in the judicial
 custody since 1963 and
 >>  >>  continues to be in judicial custody despite
 being declared fit.
 >>  >>  Burman also remained at the institute
 despite being fit to be
 >>  >>  discharged from April 20, 1974.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   Deb's case is equally shocking. He was
 admitted to the hospital in
 >>  >>  1972 at the age of 16 years. A destitute, he
 was found 'not guilty'
 >>  >>  on account of being insane at the time of
 crime. NHRC said the
 >>  >>  information available does not indicate the
 present status of his
 >>  >>  mental illness and the steps taken for his
 rehabilitation in case he
 >>  >>  is fit for discharge.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>   Mallik was admitted in 1977 when she was
 21. According to the
 >>  >>  information available with NHRC, she was
 charged with murder of her
 >>  >>  mother. Her case could have been decided if
 she was released earlier
 >>  >>

=== message truncated ===