On Thu, 11 May 2017 10:44:25 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>What is *wrong* with DC H'0'? It has the advantage of being incredibly
>straightforward. I had to spend a minute thinking about J *+2; I pretty much
>guarantee you anyone with six months of HLASM experience would "get" DC H'0'.

I wouldn't say that anything is wrong with it. But when it is included in code
for a condition that should never occur and you haven't (yet) coded a proper
error routine, the instruction before it is typically a branch over it. I don't
know how big the branch taken hit on the pipeline is in that case. But in the J
*+2 case, the normal path is to fall through, and only take the branch under
the error condition.

--
Tom Marchant