Robert Sayre wrote:
On 5/16/05, Bill de hÓra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can think of a couple things. One would be collisions (which Sam
mentioned).

I don't understand- maybe I'm looking at the wrong post?

http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg15236.html

Sam is saying that the IETF can't add a new element to the Atom
namespace and be sure there would be no collision.

I still don't understand. Can't the IETF read their own specs?

Another would be that validators couldn't catch typos.

Validators won't be able to catch typos for optional markup.

If there is a non-optional piece of markup expected, and you enter a typo instead of it, it won't be in the markup, then a validator won't find it, hence the validator will flag that something is missing.

What do you mean? The extended example in the spec has a generator
element. The RNC has caught me adding an attribute called 'url'.

Can validators catch typos or not? You seem to be saying they can't, but they did catch you adding an attribute called url.

I'm honestly not getting the gist of this issue, sorry.

cheers
Bill