* James Aylett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-05-23 15:43+0100]

> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:35:07AM -0400, Robert Sayre wrote:
>
> > > It would be good if Atom were clear on whether repetition of the
> > > exact same name implies the two authors are distinct (eg. things
> > > written by father/son pairings, where they have same name).
> >
> > Why would that be good?
>
> I'm -1 on having the spec say anything. I'm +0.5 on the spec
> explicitly saying that you can't infer anything. I don't see this as
> something that has any actual technical impact - I think people are
> trying to clear up a possible ambiguity that is useful to allow.

I'm fine with either design; was just a plea for the chosen design to
be documented clearly. "Note: the description of multiple authors
of an entry does not in itself imply that each of these descriptions is
about a different entity" would be plenty.

> One reason why I think it's not a good idea to restrict this is that
> if we say "repetition of the same atom:name implies distinct Person
> referents", we're implying that you shouldn't have the same Person
> referent using different names (eg: pseudonyms) - something that is
> impossible to detect, and so can't reasonably be part of a spec.

Fair point. Again I'm not arguing that distinctness be part of the spec,
just that people have a tendency to assume that distinctness is
intended, so a few words to be explicit on Atom's assumptions would be
worthwhile.

I'm reminded of http://internetalchemy.org/2005/04/unique-name-assumption

 "Two sons and two fathers went to a pizza restaurant. They ordered three
 pizzas. When they came, everyone had a whole pizza. How can that be?"

> And if we're not trying to disallow the same person being referred to
> by two distinct textual strings, then why are we disallowing it for
> two identical textual strings? Seems an arbitrary non-technical
> semantic to me.

I'm fine with allowing it. But there are two quite different designs
here that look the same at the instance level; only the Atom spec can
arbitrate between users who take differing interpretations.

Dan