That's what I believe Bob's RFC3229+Feed proposal addresses.
If I understand Bob's solution correctly, it goes something like:

1) wake up
2) scratch whatever you need to scratch
3) turn on computer, launch feed reader
4) feed reader does some RFC3229+feed magic to catch up on what happened during the night 5) feed reader opens a XMPP connection to receive the active stream of new entries