Mark Nottingham wrote:
I agree that it's important to honour the document order; that's what FH tries to do. I'm a little surprised to hear you say that people thought that this was previously 'next'; I'd never heard that (but will be happy to put a note in).

Mark Pilgrim's article on XML.com discussing the Atom Link Model:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/06/16/dive.html

I can't say I've seen it widely used, but there is at least one occurrence in the wild (Mark's archives).

Hmm. Yeah, I see what you're saying. Actually, I think this is an opportunity -- we we define a new link relation to the subscription document, and specify that it can only occur in archive documents, it obviates the need for a separate fh:archive flag, which in turn means that you don't have to declare two namespaces to use fh in RSS archive documents -- which was one of the things making me reluctant to switch over to atom:link.

How about:

<atom:link rel="subscription" href="..."/>

Yeah, I think that's a great idea. I'm not sure about the name though. Would it not be better as a verb (say "subscribe") since the link is effectively providing you with a url with which you can subscribe to the feed. This seems to me more in line with the verb-based link relations being used in the Atom publishing protocol.

Admittedly in this case the link could just as easily be interpreted as a passive pointer to a document rather than an operation as such. I'm not really arguing strongly either way. Just something to think about.

Regards
James