-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Nottingham
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 11:28 AM
To: Antone Roundy
Cc: atom-syntax@imc.org
Subject: Re: Feed History -04

At first I really liked this proposal, but I think that the kind of
confusion you're concerned about is unavoidable; the terms you refer
to suffer "bottom-up" vs. "top-down."

I think that defining the terms well and in relation to the
subscription feed will help; after all, the terms don't surface in
UIs, so it should be transparent.

On 14/10/2005, at 10:37 AM, Antone Roundy wrote:

> Which brings me back to "top", "bottom", "up" and "down".  In the
> OpenSearch case, it's clear which end the "top" results are going
> to be found.  In the syndication feed case, the convention is to
> put the most recent entries at the "top".  If you think of a feed
> as a stack, new entries are stacked on "top".  The fact that these
> terms are less generic and flexible than "previous" and "next" is
> both an advantage and a disadvantage.  I think the question is
> whether it's an advantage in a significant majority of cases or
> not.  What orderings would those terms not work well for?

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems

________
BEAWorld 2005: coming to a city near you.  Everything you need for SOA
and enterprise infrastructure success.

Register now at http://www.bea.com/4beaworld

London 11-12 Oct| Paris13-14 Oct| Prague18-19 Oct |Tokyo 25-26 Oct|
Beijing 7-8 Dec