I am ok with next, prev, ... but I suppose I do have a question
that is similar to Marks: how do I know in what order the results
are listed? Are they in historical order? Are these feeds grouping entries in alphabetical order, in inverse historical order? Perhaps in alphabetical order of author,...

Again next, prev, first, last deal very well with paging. how do we specify the order? Is this related to the query? Should there be a default order for
subscription feeds? Should the ordering information be specified in the
feed?

In rdf we could say things like

iana:historicalNext a owl:ObjectProperty;
        rdfs:subPropertyOf iana:next;
        rdfs:comment "a historically ordered next relation" .

and then use historicalNext for the particular historical ordering
that we need to archive our feeds. This would allow processors
who do not understand or care about the historical ordering to still
walk through the linked list of feeds.

Henry

Ps. writing from Italy http://dannyayers.com/archives/2005/10/15/welcome-to-the-atomowl/