In retrospect, it likely would have been a good idea for us to have
covered this in the Atom spec.  The definition of xml:base does include
a statement that "[t]he base URI for a URI reference appearing in text
content is the base URI of the element containing the text."  That would
include URI references contained within the escaped HTML markup of Text
constructs and the content element.

- James